Saturday, July 10, 2010

Salisbury

We traveled from Bath to Salisbury and I insisted on a taxi when we arrived and I was so happy to have done so. Hostel and train station never seem to be on the same side of the map, always across the crease. Nancy and I are immediatley under impressed with Salisbury and actually I have trouble remembering which city we are in altogether. The city caters to tourists and it appears that budget cuts have left the center of town a little grungey.



We left our bags at the mildew scented hostel and headed for town to see the Catherdral- with the tallest spire in all of England. We all head in different directions around the exterior but end up at the same museum to see the Stonhenge exhibit and other historical finds from England. They have a Wedgewood exhibit which was donated by one woman and it contained over 650 pieces. After enjoying the exhibit and realizing I should have joined Nancy at her Stonhenge tour (I went a decade ago and figured the stones had not moved) because I was feeling the pull of excitment about the henge, I took a much deserved break with cream tea. All 3 of us met for tea on the lawn in front of the museum, it was really a beautiful day, as just about all of the days were. Nancy and I headed for the Salisbury Cathedral next and enjoyed what it had to offer.


The picture of the three of us was taken at the Haunch of Venison Pub and restuarant. Nancy and I dined there on Monday night and had a great window table with a breeze and fantastic food. We went back on Tuesday night as we had forgotten to pick a restuarant earlier in the day and none of us can handle the "restaurant search" when we are hungry. It was just as enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment